Nutritional Options for Wellness
The Nutritional Options Wellness (NOW) pantry is a collaborative effort between Spectrum Health and several Access Pantries. UCOM's NOW program began in 2005 with a focus on improving access to healthy food for those suffering from a chronic illness. Other program goals include:
- Increased wellness and quality of life
- Decreased complications of chronic disease
- Increased health
The program is based on these facts:
- "Eight of the 10 leading causes of death are caused by what we eat and drink"
- "Four out of five adults have chronic diseases that are affected by diet"
- "More than one in 10 Americans need food aid each year due to low income or unexpected events such as job loss or medical expenses"
--Spectrum Health Healthier Communities Nutritional Options for Wellness Brochure
Clients enrolled in the NOW program shop weekly. Food choices include, fresh fruits and vegetable, whole grains, low fat foods, low sugar foods, and low sodium foods. In 2010 UCOM served 48 NOW clients with a total of 646 services. Please see our Needs page for a list of healthful foods you can donate.
All low Income Kent County residents receiving care through participating community clinics are eligible for this program. For More information contact Spectrum Health at 616.391.6144 or go to spectrum-health.org/now.